Saturday, June 5, 2010

My new lid!

Okay, before I start this blog, let me inform you, that this post should have been written few months back. Better late than never. :)

As I sold my Pulsar 150 in Mysore, before moving to Pune, I gave out my Ninja helmet as a complimentary gift with my bike. Of course, when my dad came to know about this, he was red with anger. Why? Because that was HIS helmet! :) And it was around 10 years old!!! To be honest, even I thought it was a bad decision to give it away, cause I had grown fond of the lid. It was a STUDDS Ninja helmet. And it was a special model, which had a design pattern sticker at the back, which also glowed in the dark, thus increasing the safety factor. Its difficult to find these patterns nowadays, and all you get is a simple black Ninja STUDDs sans the sticker. If you have some idea about helmets, you would already have known that Ninja is a good helmet, which has survived in our market for a long time. It is a full-head helmet, and you can lift a part of the helmet, thereby converting it into a face-exposing stylish helmet. I have fond memories, of wearing glares, and lifting up half of the helmet, to get that cool dude look when riding my Pulsar. :P Of course, whenever I went out biking, I ensured that it covered the whole of my head, to play safe. Like that behemoth trip that I had made on my bike, from Mysore to Mangalore, alone!! Of course, there was one time, when I ignored my helmet, and then met with a serious accident on Chamundi Hills, which has left a permanent scar on my face (have blogged about this earlier). Anyways, this helmet has protected me for a looong time. But no use repenting, it is already gone!

Sorry for the diversion. This post is about my new lid, not the old one. Instead of buying the helmet in Pune, I thought I will buy it in Mumbai, on my weekend trip to home. Once, with dad, I went down to Byculla, and saw a couple of small shops, but could not find STUDDS Ninja with sticker. So, one evening, I went to Dadar west, looking for a helmet-shop. This was the first time I was buying a helmet, and had absolutely NO idea where to find it! It took me some time to realize that I will find it not in a sports shop, but in an auto hardware accessories shop! After roaming around for a couple of hours, I roamed more than half of Dadar, to realize that I should have already come to Lady Jamshedji road. Somewhere between Citylight and Sena Bhavan, I found a shop, where I finally found STUDDS NINJA. But, unfortunately, it did not have the sticker at the back which I had in my oops... my dad's helmet. So, I moved ahead. And luckily found another shop, this one bang opposite Sena Bhavan. However, they did not have Ninja. Instead, they had a Vega helmet. Which looked good enough. Which had desirable feauture(retractable full head lid), minus the sticker. After roaming around for 2 hours, I could have eloped with Mayawati. Not really, but I was damn tired, and thought I should just buy the damned thing, and get it over with.

And friends, that is how I bought my Vega Boolean helmet. And coming to think of it, I like it more than the earlier Studds Ninja one.

No comments: